As you know, we are headed to Nashville later this month for the 2009 SAI Convention and Competition, where Lori, Lori and I will compete as members of HCMC in the Chorus competition. But in addition to that event, we can’t wait to watch the quartet competition, to cheer on our sister quartets from HCMC and around Region 19. Each of these quartets have been preparing all year long for this event, and each hopes to win the title of “Queens of Harmony.”
- Capri, whose members all hail from HCMC, is the current SAI International 5th Place quartet, and have spent five years in a row in the SAI Top Ten. Last year Capri also picked up the Audience Favorite award for the second year in a row. We can’t wait to hear them again!
- a.k.a. quartet, whose tenor Sue Taylor sings with HCMC, will be returning to the International competition for a second year. The members of a.k.a. live all across the East Coast of the US, and they are the current SAI Region 15 First Place quartet. They have a new Lead singer this year, and we are excited to hear them compete on the international stage with their new sound.
- MAXX Factor is another fantastic quartet from Region 19. After winning the Region 19 First Place medal in the spring of 2008, they competed last year in the International competition for the first time, and finished in 4th place – a spectacular result for their first time out! In May 2009 they also won the National Harmony Sweepstakes competition, an event geared toward all types of a cappella music. MAXX Factor is sure to do well in Nashville this year.
- The Fource, whose lead Diane Kelley is a former member of HCMC, returns to the International competition for their second year. The Fource is the current Region 19 First Place medalist quartet. They have a new Bass singer since last year’s International performance, and we’re really looking forward to hearing them on stage in Nashville.
- Surround Sound quartet is the Region 14 First Place winner, but half of their members hail from Region 19 choruses. Baritone Sandy Knapp is formerly from HCMC and now sings in Region 19’s Pride of Baltimore chorus with Bass Judy Hassan. Surround Sound wowed them down in Region 14 this past spring, winning First Place on their first time on the competition stage together!
We wish all of these quartets with Region 19 ties the best of luck in their performances! We’ll be cheering for you!
The SAI Quartet Competitions on Wednesday Oct 21 and Friday Oct 23 will be broadcast via free webcast on the SAI Website. Click here to tune in!